Schachenhaus is located at 1,866 metres, below the King's House on Schachen (Schachen Castle) and was originally used as a supply house for the Royal Palace. The mountain inn is a popular rest stop for visitors to the botanical Alpine garden and the Royal Palace. Follow in the footsteps of King Ludwig and enjoy Bavarian specialities and homemade cakes, mostly made using local products, at this cosy retreat.
The King's House on Schachen (Schachen Castle) situated directly above Schachenhaus. The King's House, built on Schachenalpe between 1869 and 1872 according to plans by Georg Dollmann, served as a retreat for King Ludwig II during his stays in the mountains. The little castle was built of wood as a post and beam construction in the Swiss chalet style. On the first floor there is an oriental state room, the so-called Turkish Hall, which the king had decorated with coloured glass windows, peacock feathers, fountains and opulently embroidered textiles. Tours of the Royal Palace are at 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm.
From the hiking parking in Elmau, you can reach Schachenhaus in about 4 to 5 hours. From Mittenwald, it takes about 5 to 6 hours to reach Schachenhaus.