Merkel & Obama visiting Krün
- [ALT+0] Zurück zur Startseite der Alpenwelt Karwendel
- Direkt zur Hauptnavigation
- Direkt zur Volltextsuche
- Direkt zum Inhalt
The "Obama bench" in Krün
A historic spot in Krün…
The “Obama bench” in front of Krün’s town hall has become one of the small town’s most popular attractions for vacationers and other visitors. Many use the comfortable bench to take photos as mementos of their time in the Alpenwelt Karwendel area or read the informational sign attached to the table.
The inhabitants of the small town of Krün, located in the Alpenwelt Karwendel area, will probably recall June 7, 2015, for a long time to come. It was a picture-perfect Sunday when German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Barack Obama, President of the United States of America, visited the idyllic town center and talked to the many visitors who had gathered on the Rathausplatz square in the bright sunshine. The leaders were in town for the 2015 G7 summit, which was held at neighboring Schloss Elmau.
The high point of the international state visit to Krün was a traditional Bavarian breakfast for the group on the Rathausplatz square following the official part of the event. The heads of state from Germany and the U.S. enjoyed fresh Weisswurst sausage and pretzels along with authentic Bavarian wheat beer from the Werdenfelser Land area. Plus, of course, Merkel and Obama took time to take photos with locals as souvenirs of this unique visit to the Alpenwelt Karwendel area before returning to Schloss Elmau, where the G7 summit was being held.
The “Obama bench” in front of Krün’s town hall reminds vacationers, visitors, and locals alike of this historic day. It also offers a place to read a wealth of worthwhile information.
- We have compiled the main information about the 2015 G7 summit at Schloss Elmau in the Alpenwelt Karwendel area for you here.
- For detailed information about the many events taking place in Mittenwald, Krün, and Wallgau, please see our calendar of events.
- Questions about your vacation in the Alpenwelt Karwendel area? Our vacation advisors at the tourist information centers in the area are always happy to help you!