"Lüftlmalerei" - Sights - Culture - Enjoy - Alpenwelt Karwendel - Urlaub Mittenwald Krün Wallgau
- [ALT+0] Zurück zur Startseite der Alpenwelt Karwendel
- Direkt zur Hauptnavigation
- Direkt zur Volltextsuche
- Direkt zum Inhalt
...artistic facade painting...
Lüftlmalereien (traditional Bavarian frescoes) are dotted all over Alpenwelt Karwendel. Nowhere else in Upper Bavaria will you see so many frescoes dating from the 18th Century as in Mittenwald, Krün and Wallgau. Today, artists still turn facades into "lively picture books", as Goethe called them.
The colorful works often tell stories from the Bible, such as of The Resurrection and The Agony in the Garden, or depict fires and floods. The painted Baroque tower in Mittenwald is also unique in Bavaria. See how vibrant the colors still are even after more than 200 years!
- You can find guided tours of church and towns in the calendar of events.
- The tourist information office in Mittenwald offers special guided tours focusing on the subject of "Lüftlmalerei" frescoes.
- There are three beautiful parish churches and numerous chapels to be discovered in Mittenwald, Krün and Wallgau. They are located on the St Jakob's pilgrimage route between the Isar and the Inn.