Church of St. Jakob in Wallgau - Castles and Churches - Day Trip Destinations - Facts - Alpenwelt Karwendel - Urlaub Mittenwald Krün Wallgau
- [ALT+0] Zurück zur Startseite der Alpenwelt Karwendel
- Direkt zur Hauptnavigation
- Direkt zur Volltextsuche
- Direkt zum Inhalt
Church of St. Jakob in Wallgau
The first church in Wallgau was built in 1295. On the same site, at the end of the 15th century, a hall church was built with a stone vaulted choir in the Gothic style; the choir with ribbed vaulting and tracery from the choir loft crown window and the sanctuary can still be admired today in the oldest building in Wallgau. From 1680, the Baroque church tower with its onion-shaped roof, the sacristy on the north side, and the House of the Dead on the south side were built and in 1683 a high altar was built. The steeple was replaced in 1723/24. By 1730, the reconstruction work was completed following several letters of protest from the then parish priest to the bishop. The last renovation was then the painted transept in the nave of the church. At the end of the 18th century, the church became an independent parish.
In 1891, further extension and renovation work was carried out. The last comprehensive internal and external restoration and subsequent replacement of the technical equipment was carried out in 1988. In May 2007, the old organ from the 1950s was replaced by a new one with 14 registers.
- Because of its location on the former pilgrimage route, the parish church of St. Jakob was dedicated to its patron, Saint James.